Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Star Tours: Special Edition


A quick stroll through Tomorrowland (who are we kidding?  a quick stroll through Tomorrowland?!) netted me the above picture a couple of weeks ago.  Blending Disneyland and Star Wars together was pure genius!  No doubt in my mind that George Lucas did it especially for me.

In a weird twist of fate, the first time I ever rode 'Star Tours' was at Walt Disney World (and not Disneyland).  Point of fact, many of the rides I now love so much at Disneyland I first rode in Florida.  Funny how that works.

At any rate, 'Star Tours' was a staple of my trips into Disneyland.  The ride was always fun, the kids loved it, and the lines were almost always short (gone are those days, I would imagine).  But as most people know by now, the "old" has passed and the "new" is coming fairly soon, and in 3D-HD no less!

While there is a ton of debate from nerds like me as to whether the ride needed updating (for many, it is borderline hypocrisy to change it), I have to confess myself extremely excited about it.  As much as I loved the old one, let's be honest, it was horribly outdated.  Classic, yes.  Loved, yes.  Outdated?  You betcha.  So as sad as I am to see the one I grew up knowing about leaving, I'm ready for whatever they throw at me.  It's Disney.  How bad can it be?

A couple of weeks ago Disney Parks Blog posted the following video that will be in the queue for the new ride.  Enjoy!  It might be nice to see Alderaan before Vader gets a hold of it.  And I can't help but loving how they kept the "old ride" feel to it.  Star Tours wouldn't be the same without those chimes.





No comments:

Post a Comment