Monday, August 30, 2010

Around The Blogs: More Than I Should Bear

One of the things that I love most about my wife is her ability to teach.  She's an amazing teacher.  And she's not only an amazing teacher while she's in the classroom (she teaches AP English) but she's an amazing teacher while she's in the home. 

I love writing, but it's only with her help that I'm able to write, and blog, as frequently as I do.  If it were left up to me I wouldn't.  I'm too self-conscious about myself and my abilities (despite having been told the opposite on many occasions) to put myself out there.  For me, the proof would be in the pudding.  I'd have to have a bazillion hits and a quadrillion followers to consider myself a success.  And I so don't. 

But she taught me a lesson a long time ago, and that is this:  You don't write for others, you write for yourself.  Like any other art, writing is a form of self-expression.  It shouldn't be done from any ulterior motives or out of any sense of pride or arrogance, but simply because you want to.  Your willingness to put yourself out there, and put your feelings out there is an important human interaction.  You bare your soul (sometimes serious, sometimes not), but you do it for yourself.  And as long as you are happy with that, well then that's just okay.  Should anyone care to accompany you, well then that's just okay, too.

I wish I could say the following was just a simple case of nepotism, but it's not.  My wife is an amazing writer.  Brilliant, in point of fact.  And it's due to her beginning to blog that mine even exists now. 

Y'all check her out. 

More Than I Should Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment