Friday, August 27, 2010

The Romance Was Thick That Night...

I love my wife.  No doubt about it.  I know that she knows it, and I fervently hope that others who know us can see it.  If not, send me an anonymous comment and your complaints will be dealt with swiftly.

But although I love my wife, the whole idea of "romance" and "being romantic" is, I confess, sometimes lost on me.  The whole "guy thing" and not understanding is actually quite true.  We're wired so differently that sometimes I don't know whether I'm coming or going.  The things that I would think would drive her wild fall flat, and then sometimes the little things I do, which make no romantic sense to me whatsoever, earn me massive brownie points.  And if I manage somehow in my idiocy to string them together, look out!

I may be completely off base here, but I think that often times what romance really boils down to is sacrifice.  Giving of oneself to please another.  Giving up something you want for something that they want.  Doing something you wouldn't normally do because it's not really your "style" because you know it will make theirs more important than yours.

Stephanie and I don't get to spend a whole lot of time together with just the two of us.  After years of trying to "cheap" our way through things, we've finally come to the realization that we have to do what we have to do to get time away from our children.  Even if it means (GASP!) paying a babysitter.  It had been so long since we had been out that we both thought a night in the park; no, scratch that, we both thought a night in THE Park (Disneyland) was just what the doctor ordered.

We did the normal ride thing, and the normal dinner thing, and so on, but then I got in my head to do something that I had never done in the 14 years that I have been with my girl.  We rode the carousel.  And I think that may have been when it dawned on me: 

The thing that horrifies me
















may be just the thing that makes my wife the happiest.
















Maybe I do kind of understand this romance thing after all.

1 comment: