Friday, September 3, 2010

Life Doesn't Always Have To Be Profound

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image,
       in the image of God he created him;
       male and female he created them.

One of the biggest issues I have with blogging is that I feel like I very rarely have much of substance to say.  I know that's not necessarily the case, and that sometimes (at least it's my hope!) they very much contain something of substance.  I write about my family and my relationships with my wife and children fairly frequently, so that has to count, I reckon.  But other than that, they're pretty much all over the place.

I was talking with my wife about it the other night (seeing as how she kind of worries about what she writes, too, sometimes) and the one constant I kept coming back to in what I was saying was, "I want the blog to reflect who I am."  And the more I thought about it, the more I came to realize that that's pretty much exactly what it does.  It does an amazing job of reflecting who Chad Elliott really is.

As a person, I'm all over the place, all the time.  Truth be told, sometimes that gets me in trouble.  But truth also be told, I've had to come to grips with the fact that more often than not, I'm dancing to the beat of a different drum than most people.  But to me, those are the most interesting people in the world!  No doubt in my mind that other people look at me and see an oddball sometimes.  My sense of humor often is dry and sarcastic, or completely flies over other people's heads.  What I think is hilarious other people look at me like I've lost my mind.

The truth is, it used to bug me.  Made me wonder if something was wrong with me (and maybe something is).  But it's who I am.  I'm not a serious person all the time.  More often than not, I'm not willing to put all the serious stuff on this blog that I'm going through.  Who'd want to read that, anyways?  Blech!  It's horrible enough when I have it kicking around in my own head; I'd hate to throw it out there for general consumption.

My blog is who I am.  It's me in a nutshell.  I love my family and my sons so you'll see them a lot.  I love my Disneyland, so you'll see it a lot.  I watch a lot of Youtube videos that tickle my funnybone so you'll see it a lot.  Alabama football.  Christian anecdotes.  You get the idea.

If I'm reading Genesis 1:27 right (and I think I am) God gave us a lot of what makes Him who He is.  And if that's the case, He gave me what He wanted me to have.  He made me an oddball.  Thanks, Lord.  Appreciate that.

But again, if I'm reading that verse right, it's okay.  It takes some of all kinds to make the world go around.  If this is me, and I was made in His image, well then I guess I'll just have to resign myself to that fact and live with it.  And you will, too.

Life doesn't always have to be full of profound moments.  And neither does my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment